The Italian ‘king’ of paparazzi attempted suicide by cutting his wrists, following the news that he must return to prison, and has now announced a hunger and thirst strike from his hospital bed.
The Court of Surveillance of Milan has made the decision to revoke the 46-year-old Italian journalist Fabrizio Corona’s house arrest and ordered his return to prison after a series of parole violations, including on his ban on using social media and on making appearances on TV, in Milano, Italy on March 11.
Corona has been involved in various legal proceedings over the years. Back in 2007 Corona server 11 weeks for extortion before he was released under house arrest.
In 2013 he was sentenced to nine years and eight months’ in prison for an endless slew of crimes, including drug dealing, bribery, pimping, fraudulent bankruptcy, extortion and possession of counterfeit banknotes.
After serving five years and a half he was released under house arrest to receive therapy at home regarding his cocaine addiction in 2019.
Upon learning that he had to go back to jail, Corona went into a rage and made a suicide attempt in his house, inflicting a deep cut in his arm, then he covered his face with blood and filmed and shared the video on social media.
He said: “You have created a monster.”
He then cursed and fought the intervening policemen, he was admitted to the psychiatry ward of the Niguarda hospital. After his condition is stabilised he will be transferred to the Opera prison.
From the hospital Corona announced that he will go on a hunger strike until he can speak to the judges.
A public statement on Corona’s official Instagram page led by his entourage revealed that he has announced a hunger strike on 12th March.
The statement reads: “The lawyer Cristina Morrone has just gone to the Niguarda hospital in Milan, in the psychiatry ward. She told us that Fabrizio is on a hunger and thirst strike and will continue to do so until he is given the opportunity to speak with Dr. Giovanna Di Rosa, president of the Milan Supervisory Court. “
The return to prison of Fabrizio Corona has raised a fuss. There are many who take the side of the former photographer, rooting for him to receive therapy away from jail.
A hugely popular petition for his freedom was launched and even Corona’s lawyer, Ivano Chiesa, asks on Instagram to participate. Over 17,000 signatures have been collected so far.
Corona will remain in hospital for a few more days before presenting himself to the Opera prison.
His lawyer, Ivano Chiesa, said: “The judges’ latest decision is the darkest chapter in Fabrizio’s judicial history. He will return to prison but he is not a dangerous person.”
To find out more about the author, editor or agency that supplied this story – please click below.
Story By: Sara Zhivkova, Sub-Editor: Marija Stojkoska, Agency: Newsflash