The man who filmed this terrifying footage of dozens of corpses of COVID-19 victims lined up in an Iranian hospital has been arrested by the authorities.
The video, filmed in a hospital in the city of Qom in the northern Iranian province of the same name, was shared on Twitter by netizen ‘MohamadAhwaze’ where it has been viewed 920,000 times.
In the footage, lines of body bags are seen on the floor or lying on trolleys as the cameraman walks around the facilities.
Video Credit: CEN/@MohamadAhwaze
He says: “As you can see, there are many corpses of COVID-19 victims. It has been this way for six days because of the lack of resources to perform a proper burial.”
According to reports, the video was filmed by a hospital worker in Qom, where COVID-19 was first detected in Iran.
Local media said the dead bodies belong to victims of COVID-19.
The suspected hospital worker who filmed the video also accused the authorities of covering up the scale of the outbreak in Iran.
According to local media, Iran has experienced 2,922 confirmed cases of COVID-19 with at least 92 people killed.
The Iranian government has announced new measures to combat the virus, saying that it would temporarily release 54,000 people from prison and deploy thousands of health workers.
Last week, a dozen Iranian government officials were reportedly infected by COVID-19, including the country’s Deputy Health Minister Iraj Harirchi and the Vice-President for Women’s and Family Affairs Masoumeh Ebtekar.
Meanwhile, Mohammad Mirmohammadi, a member of the Expediency Council which advices Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, died of the virus on Monday, according to local media.
To find out more about the author, editor or agency that supplied this story – please click below.
Story By: Ana Marjanovic, Sub-Editor: Joseph Golder, Agency: Central European News